Own a small apartment? Want to eat in but clueless on the cooking process? Sharp R-820JS Microwave Oven is an all-in-one kitchen appliance. It is a conventional microwave, a convection unit and/or a toaster oven all-in-one. Rated as the best convection microwave oven, it is extremely versatile, compact, fast, efficient, safe, heats consistently, easy to clean and saves the use of air-conditioner.
1) Extremely Versatile
- Performs a job of three:
- A conventional microwave
- A convection unit
- A toaster oven
- In fact, it does more than just those three uses through its non-microwave functions.
- The Compu-serve setting is a miracle.
- E.g. You can grill a burger, golden French fries, steaks, fish & poultry or roast a chicken, turkey & pork loin or even bake crispy biscuits, chewy brownies & microwave pizza.
- Phenomenally useful for a small kitchen
- Much better than heating up a full-size oven
- Small batches of crispy or fried things can be heated in less than half the time!
- Quicker than a big oven or an old toaster oven.
- When it comes to dinner, the faster the better ?
4) Easy Clean-Up
- The turntable and the pedestal should come right out and can go in the dishwasher (they’re both metal) if you’re pressed for time.
- Then, there’s nothing left to do but to wipe inside the oven since a lower range element like in an electric oven flips up and out of the way.
- No scrubbing, no huffing!
- Since the interior consist of shiny metal, just wipe away with a sponge and it’ll be gleaming in no time.
- The grill function is flawless thanks to the Double Grill convection technology.
- How to make the most of it?
- For rapid warm-ups, use it as a microwave oven
- For roasting and baking, use it as a conventional oven
- Tip? Change the convection mode for the last 5 minutes if you’re making pizza; adding crispiness to the dough for a more conventional taste & natural crust.
6) Consistent Heat
- Instead of heating element, the heat convection makes life easy.
- E.g. Very good for setting yeast bread to rise. Just set the oven on 100 and put in a cup of water for extra humidity.
- However, length of time varies & some adjustment may be needed for different food to reach the right amount of browning.
7) Saves the Use of Air-Conditioner
- Even if you don’t have an air-conditioned apartment, you can still bake and roast to your heart’s content all summer.
- No worries about heating up the entire apartment.
- No spike in air conditioning bills either!
- The exhaust above the top of the unit (from the fan) may be warm but the unit remains touchable.
- Nevertheless, my recommendation is to abide by the recommended clearance on the top in the guide.
- If there is still a necessity to store things, try to not to put perishable items or stuff that would suffer from heat.
1) Manufacturing Defect
- Crimped sheet metal, a minimum number of screws and cheap plastic snap-ins securing too many vital components.
- A number of failure rates reviewed for this particular model.
- Remarks: One of the more major problems
2) Weak Design
- Omission of humidity sensor which automatically reheats dishes or stops when the water boils or shuts off when it detects the dish that is done heating.
- In its place, there are only reheat presets which may not be adequate for some.
- Remarks: Not very problematic since the invaluable Compu settings more than make up for it. Just impute the correct weight to get the desired doneness for your food.
3) Wobbly Turntable
- The turntable always spins
- Remarks: A minor annoyance
4) Difficulty Reading LCD Display
- If you are too tall, the screen can’t be seen too well.
- A normal counter top should give a perfect view of screen if you are between 5’2″ and 5’9″
- Solution? Step back to get a good view
- Remarks: Big irritant for tall people.
5) Lengthy Pre-heat Time
- Takes a fair bit of time to pre-heat dishes with LOW HEIGHT.
- Solution? Invert a dinner plate on the revolving plate to increase the height.
- Remarks: You’ll have a greater capacity of patience thanks to this!
6) Popcorn Problem
- Some have problem popping all the corn.
- Solution? Follow the instructions exactly. Turn the pie plate upside down for the popcorn to cook correctly.
- Remarks: A matter of reading and doing as the instructions say.
7) Restart Programming
- If you mess up one entry in the multi process cooking inputs, you’d have to start all over with the programming.
- Remarks: Not many complaints received on this.
Huge Vent Fan
- Huge vent fan extends 5 inches in the back.
- Remarks: Some customers prefer it to be smaller but it is not much of a hindrance when coming to choose this model.
Truly, while some parts of the build quality may be a concern, there are very few ovens that I am aware of that offer as much functionality and flexibility of the ‘Compu’ functions to bake, roast, microwave and grill. In fact, where else can you get such a readily accessible and multi-functional microwave oven at this kind of price?
Great for a single person or if you live in a very small space, this is a fine substitute to a full-size oven. I present to you the best convection microwave oven, Sharp R-820JS Microwave Oven which is extremely versatile, compact, safe, fast, efficient, heats consistently, easy to clean and saves the use of air-conditioner.
- Best Microwave – Main
- Sharp R-426HS – Most Stylish Microwave Oven
- Panasonic Genius NN-H765 BF Microwave Oven – Best Microwave Oven
- Sharp R-216LS Compact Size 0.8 Cu-Foot Microwave
More Related Posts: